Thursday, August 8, 2019

Massive Final Bathroom Update


If you've followed the blog for a little while, you know we spent about 8 months slowly chipping away at a massive bathroom project. I'm super excited to say that it's been complete for a few months now! To show you a snapshot of the process I need to take you back to May of 2013.


Unfortunately this is the only photo of this bathroom I have from before we moved in. The light fixtures kept burning out bulbs. The sink took up 1/3 of the bathroom. The tub shower took up another 1/3. It had a patterned wallboard and built-ins.

The plan sounded straight forward:
1. Take out the tub
2. Put in the washer and dryer
3. Replace the window
4. Replace the toilet and sink

And if you have ever done any home improvement, you are laughing at us right now

Fast forward to August 2018. We were preparing to have our windows replaced and wanted to have them install our new window in our new wall. Que the bathroom demo.


While doing demolition, we uncovered some pipe issues both under the sink and under the tub. But at this stage we just capped the pipes and called it a day. We were on a time crunch to get the drywall up on the one wall for the window.


Fall of 2018, windows went in, I painted 75% of the exterior, and we were officially living as a 5 tush family in 1 toilet house.


Next order of business was to get a light working so we could finish the walls and fix the plumbing issues. That was something of an ordeal. It included renting a concrete saw to use in the house, and I have no desire to ever tackle a plumbing problem like that again (to be clear, Chad and his dad tackled the plumbing problems).


Somewhere along the way, I hit my breaking point. Hours of mudding and sanding, mudding and sanding, mudding and sanding, only to discover we were using a subpar product. I found myself crying over a bathroom, yup.



Finally, the walls passed hubby inspection for smoothness, time to paint!


Compared to the previous step, I flew through the painting and we were reading for flooring and fixtures!



With the ceiling up, the insulation would finally stop falling on us while we worked.


We had a little trouble getting the washer and dryer to fit through the doorway (should have measured first). But my dream of having laundry on the main floor was coming true!



All that was left was trim.



And it's done! We have some smaller home improvement projects we are in the middle of currently, but nothing as big as this bathroom project. I think the take away for me is that our next house needs to have the laundry room on the main level already and maybe have 3 toilets not just 2.

I also think from here on out I'll be a bit more timid in our DIY home improvement endeavors. If you made it to the end of this massive post, congratulations!

Mrs. Troyer

0 comments: