Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Letter Writing

On Facebook, Twitter, just about any social networking website or venue I have found a group of people who bemoan that nobody writes letters anymore. Funny thing is, those people don't take the step of writing one first. Sadly, I used to be one of them. I had a life changing experience though; well life changing when it came to my thoughts on letters. I became an employee of the United States Postal Service.

Let me stop anyone who wants to try to bash the USPS in front of me. I won't stand for it. I no longer work there, and I didn't enjoy everything there, but I believe in what it is. I also believe it still has a place in our world. So if you want to complain about it, tell me it's out of date, complain about their prices, you need to find someone else to talk to. Otherwise prepare yourself for a large dose of reality from inside the post office with way more information about it than you ever wanted to know.

Okay, rant over. Back to letters.

Letters cannot be matched by anything online or on your phone. A phone call is special, an email is mundane, Facebook is convenient, but a letter is a keepsake. Handwriting shows the personality, the emotions, the effort in a way an email cannot. Words on a page can be read over and over and over again; where a phone call you must rely on your memory. Not to mention I don't know a single person that doesn't get a little giddy when there is a nonbill letter in their mailbox.

All of that to say, I have resigned from the club of bemoaners. I bought fun stamps, I have a file full of addresses, I made a large stack of stationary, and I have the perfect desk for letter writing. Next goal, birthday and anniversary (and graduation, wedding, baby) cards...

When did you last write a "just-because card?" (I did yesterday)

BT

Ps I finally decided I couldn't keep waiting to update my blog till I could add photos. So, sorry about the ongoing lack of photos, words will have to do till we get internet.

3 comments:

Grace said...

I love words. =)
And I like letters too! I can tell that I have a special group of friends because I've already gotten several letters in my mailbox even thought it's only been mine for about three weeks.

You're on my list to reply to, at least as soon as I can find half an hour somewhere....

I miss you, and I miss Alexi, too.

Mrs. Troyer said...

And we miss you!!

Unknown said...

Loved getting the "fun" stamp on our anniversary card