Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Photography and Me

Lately I have felt very discouraged about photographing life. People have been expressing strong opinions about photography and what it should be, and though it's not directed specifically at me, what is being said accuses me. I have had long conversations with myself since then about this topic, namely for the reason that I don't want to enter my child's life afraid to take photos of him/her for fear of them not being perfect or non-cliche or being edited using cheap (read free) iPhone apps. Here are my thoughts on the matter. Purely opinion, but if that's what it takes for me to banish caring what people say, then I'll express it.

What is photography? According to the Websters app I have it is "the art or process of producing images by the action of radiant energy and especially light on a sensitive surface (as film or a CCD chip)". And a photographer is simply one who practices photography. So I ask you, who gets to judge photography and whether or not one is a photographer? There used to be a standard that seemed to have to be met in order for someone to earn the title of photographer. But according to the above definition no such standard exists. So who has the right to tell someone that they are not a photographer? I charge that you can't. Now I don't mean to say that everyone has to have the same idea of what art is, but art is mainly an opinion. And much of photography is art. So whether a picture is rightly a "photograph" in the sense of worthy of making a person a photographer is not truly something that can be judged.

Personally, I do not try to claim professional photographer status, but I would, according to the previously stated definition call myself an aspiring photographer. I most likely will never try to make a business out of it, nor am I likely to put my artistic pieces in a position where they would be judged. I am a photographer all the same, no matter if I use my point and shoot camera, the camera on my iPhone, or I invest in a DSLR (which I would love to do). It doesn't matter if I make my pictures into something I like using free iPhone apps like instagram, I am a photographer. It doesn't matter if I photograph cliche items in a cliche way, I am a photographer.

As a photographer, my goal is to capture life. To help myself remember the events of this life. To find enjoyment in the expression of creativity.

That is what I hope gets portrayed in the photos on this blog. I hope you will understand me as a photographer, no matter how unprofessional I may be. And I hope to bring more photos of the Troyer family life to this blog as I have found enjoyment in sharing with others in the happenings of their lives.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I like the photos you take. In fact I was just thinking to myself how good your pictures look compared to mine. Take lots of pictures of the baby, or life, and whatever you want. Don't let other discourage you!

Mrs. Troyer said...

Thanks for the encouragement! Knowing that I like them and that others might want to see them will definitely help me to remember to take photos (and lots of them) unlike this first year of marriage so far...I wish I had so many more!

And PS...more blog posts and pictures from you would be great too...hint hint

Unknown said...

Like you, I have forgotten to take a lot of pictures this first year of marriage. I'm bad at remembering to take pictures until afterwards. I do have a few projects nearing an end, so maybe just maybe I can get some posts up.

Hannah Rebekah said...

The key here is the word "professional". (Technically, all that even means is that you get paid for your work, however worthy of that payment it is.) As a professional photographer, I hold myself and others who call themselves professionals to a standard of excellence, but I certainly don't expect that from someone who isn't a professional. I like your pictures! I think they're cute, and they show your style.

LynBDesigns said...

From one aspiring photographer to another, it's never easy to be judged in the art world. Do it for yourself, and sometimes cliche shots are the most fun. I too am struggling with photography and all the greatness free apps have allowed me. It makes me feel like less of a photographer when I reach for my phone over my camera, but the end result is the same. A great picture that can and most likely will last for decades.