Friday, February 20, 2009

Spiritual Disciplines Part 3

Failure...Rex told us to expect it, but I didn't. I've had nothing but disappointment and disgust for myself and my apparent lack of discipline. I knew I was bad, didn't know how many excuses I could find to not do something that I should do.

Tuesday - Cara and I went on our date for coffee. I had been doing homework before we went and made the choice to not go over my notes before we left, assuming I would just remember. Mistake #1 We left and started our regular date conversation. I would record it, but they are held in confidence. As we talked, we jumped into a little bit of what we talked about in some classes or chapels the days before, but nothing was specifically planned. That night when I was lying in bed, I vaguely remembered that I didn't write an entry and I realized what I had done (or rather, hadn't done). I determined that I would just make do with what I had done and admit my failure before I rolled over into a sleep.

Wednesday - As I walked to class with my notebook in hand, I said I HAD to do better that day. I sat down in class and listened for something to catch my attention to write it down. Mistake #2 Very quickly I was doodling and struggling to pay attention. I gave up after the first class and said that I would just do better by looking through my notes again. But I didn't think of a time or a person. Mistake #3 It was a cloudy and rainy day, so I was VERY depressed and used that as an excuse to waste away my afternoon and evening trying to "cheer myself up." By the time I went with Anna over to the Potters I was pretty happy and didn't think about my discipline at all. We returned and I talked to Grace and a friend from back home, and certain parts of those conversations had undertones of class or chapel. Nothing was purposeful though.

Thursday - This morning I remembered everything that I was supposed to have done and didn't. I walked towards my computer to write a blog admitting my failure and pledging to do better today, but I was afraid to face my own failure. I walked out of my room for class this morning and tried not to give it a second (or third or fourth or fifth or...) thought. I was convicted so bad during class that I made last minute plans to do my homework away from the school so I wouldn't have to look at my computer. Amie and I went over to Conni's to do our homework and it got to be too much for me. I almost just spilled my guts about my failure all over Amie, but I wisely waited. Conversation started and it seemed to naturally lean towards classes (the direction of God is amazing!). No, I didn't plan for it, nor did I study for it, but I had a conversation about classes, how God's been working in my life, and teachers with Amie. It must have lasted close to an hour. I can't call this a success though. My goal was to make it a conscious effort. As we were talking I remembered there was something that Sullivan said that I wanted someones opinion on, but I didn't write it down. Mistake #4 I figured I'd just remember.

All in all the last three days have been terrible.
Mistake #1 - Assuming I would remember what I wanted to say about the notes without refreshing my memory.
Mistake #2 - Putting my full attention on looking for something that catches my attention instead of putting my looking towards the simple truths we are learning here.
Mistake #3 - Not planning to do it.
Mistake #4 - Not writing down a spoken word before it runs out of the memory.

Lord, help me as this weekend ensues to have the discipline to complete the task laid before me!

1 comments:

Mike McDermott said...

Bridgette, I will pray this very weekend , that you and "Our BIG GOD" can have some special time together and your thoughts and His Word will come together to see His will for your life.
You are very good at writing down your thoughts, you should be a writer.
Aunt Cathy