Tuesday, November 9, 2021

Chicken Thawing in the Sink

Our refrigerator is special. A couple years ago the light stopped working. It spent months flickering until it gave up completely. Randomly, about a year ago, the light turned on for a day and a half. It's not the bulb; it's some issue in the wiring. We are just too lazy to get it fixed.

We get water dripping from somewhere in the back of the fridge every couple of months, which is even more confusing because it doesn't have an ice maker. I'll go to pull out a container of sour cream from the back of the shelves and it will have a water puddle or an ice disc sitting on top of the lid.

Most of the food is kept at the correct temperature, but occasionally we get some freezing in the back. Any time I need to thaw meat, I better get it out 2-3 days before I want to use it, or it will still be frozen. (Like the chicken I have thawing the sink right now that sat in the fridge for a day.)

I rarely find myself complaining about my fridge, not because I'm a saint. Just because I'm so thankful that we have a working fridge (quirks and all) that I use daily to efficiently nourish our family of 5. Miraculous things happen in that fridge as it holds the ingredients to make our favorite meal, sneaky treats and refreshing drinks. 

Point is, we could fix the fridge or replace the fridge, but instead we fairly happily live with it.

Yesterday I was talking to my sis on Marco Polo. We had a bunch of gnat like insects (my research indicates they may have been midges) swarming around our house and inside our house. Presumable they hatched because of the unseasonably warm weather we've had. It was driving me nuts. And I complained. I complained about the bugs. I complained about the weather.

Frankly I complain about the weather a ton.

I have no control over the weather. The God of Heaven and Earth is the one who decided we were going to be blessed with days above 60 degrees in November. I took advantage of the weather to clean out my flower beds some, to blow the leaves out of the backyard, to sit on my mom's bench swing. Despite all of those beautiful moments, the words out of my mouth about the weather were complaints.

I'm not sure I have a point.

But I'm fairly positive there is one.

Just something to ponder about gratitude, complaints and the joy that comes from the Lord.

Mrs. Troyer

0 comments: