Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Workout Wednesday

I'm proud to say I had a few good days in the last couple weeks, but embarrassed to admit most of them were terrible. I have come across a couple lifestyle items that need my attention during these reflections. I believe once I correct these lifestyle choices working out will fit better into my life, I'll have more energy to workout, and I'll be a much better role model for little Alexi as she gets older.

The big one is water consumption. I have never in my life had good water drinking habits. When I was younger I was just too much on the go that I didn't stop to think about it. I didn't really learn the difference between thirsty and hungry either. Now I still don't drink enough water, but instead of being on the go, I spend my time in a house with a fully stocked kitchen. I know that not drinking enough water contributes to much of my unnecessary snacking. I'm convinced that it also has contributed to my groggy, low-energy days and physical stuff and soreness.

The other big one is living a sedentary life. Sooner than I like that will change because I'll have a crawling child, but besides that, I spend too many hours sitting and laying on the floor. I would say I'm living the lifestyle of a cubicle job without the job.

My fix for these two problems is this: a month challenge. I have the bottle set up with the amount of water I need each day. Also there will be an alarm set reminding me to drink water. There will be another alarm set to go off reminding me to move. And my moving will be more than just standing up and sitting down. It'll either be a walk, unloading or loading the dishwasher, gathering laundry, switching laundry, putting clothes away, jumping jacks, dance session with the baby, etc.

Why a month? It takes just about that long to create habits, and that's what I want these to become. Eventually I want to automatically do these things without alarms and water measuring.

Join me if you'd like!

BT

2 comments:

Grace said...

I've discovered that my water consumption levels are suddenly insufficient here in the desert. So I spent one Saturday with an alarm set for every twenty minutes to remind me to drink about a 4-oz glass of water. It felt really silly at first, but it felt so good by the end of the day! Now if I could just find that water bottle that has gone missing...hopefully not in the school lost-and-found....

Unknown said...

I don't drink enough water either. It's mostly because our RO (reverse osmosis) system doesn't fill up fast enough!