Friday, October 29, 2010

Story time with Bridge!!! (pre-warning: not your normal ring story)


Chad and I were never the normal couple. We had many conversations about many future events, like engagement and wedding, before many would deem it necessary. We had talked about rings, about how I didn't like public proposal stories, the best time for us to get married, etc. That being said, on with the story.


Sunday, October 10 (I think), my grandparents and Chad stayed after church until the church's evening activities. While my parents were away, my grandparent, Chad and I all fell asleep in the living room. Chad tried to get up before I woke up, but that didn't work. Because of that, I was well aware that he went to go talk to my dad that day. With Chad, though, it's not like that really matters; he'd be the one who would make you think it was something when it really wasn't just to throw you off his trail.


That next weekend, Chad had been asked to work out at Camp Barakel. I took that opportunity to spend time with Naomi, a friend out there, and Chad and I planned to spend time with other friends that night when he got off work. 7:30 rolled around and I made plans to meet him by his car. There, we decided it was time to drink our special water (more on that later ;) ). Then I asked about meeting up with Rob and Elizabeth. The response was that he didn't really know where they would be or what they'd be doing. Instead, he asked me to go for a walk.


Up to this point everything has been pretty normal for an evening with us. He decided that we would walk down to the north end of Shear Lake where there is a little bridge (new one I might add, meaning we were going to see it for the first time). We stopped in at the West Side Dining Hall and talked to Phyllis, semi-important detail. While in there I received a text message from Facebook. My mom had updated her status, and I read it aloud. "29 years ago Kevin Salsbury asked me to marry him, and I said yes."


That's when Chad hurried us out the door to head down to the lake. I then noticed just how dark it was outside with it being as cloudy as it was (it was about 8:15-8:30 by now). If you know me, I can get used to being in the not-so-great outdoors when I have to, if you give me about 2 months to get used to it, but when I've not been in it for a while, I'm a scared little girl. To say I didn't like walking on that path would be an understatement. We made it, though, and we didn't get eaten.


This new bridge thing has little railings that were perfect bench size, so, naturally, I sat down. Looking up I noticed the clouds were breaking and BRIGHT stars were showing through. I tried to get Chad to look up, but I could find his hand, because it was in his pocket. That's when I knew, it was coming. Finally I got him to sit down and he pulls out the ring. As he's holding it out to me, the clouds in front of the moon break and he is in the moonlight with the ring all sparkly! I go to hug him and the first words he's said since we got to the bridge are, "would you at least put it on so I don't drop it?"


That's right, I didn't actually get asked any question, but then I laughed, put it on, and asked about 5 of my own questions. "Are you ready for this? Am I ready for this? Can we do this? Are our parents ready for this? AM I READY FOR THIS?" Here I was, thinking I had prepared myself for this moment well enough that I wouldn't freak out, and quite the opposite happened. I inwardly started MAJORLY freaking out!


After sitting and talking for a little bit longer, we decided it was time to start telling people before I went home.


And that's the story.


Let the wedding craziness begin!!!

0 comments: